Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Withdrawals

I am going into Lincoln withdrawals tonight. He took a long late nap and went to bed early, which means that I only got to see him for two hours today. Although I love my new job, it is devastating to be deprived of him this way.

On the upside, in those two hours, he crawled several steps, crab-walked a couple steps and continued his phenomenal spree of eating actual food! The mobility is great, but the eating is amazing. He has eaten solid food, albeit only a couple bites at a time, every day since Saturday. Last night, he ate banana and fed himself Cheerios. Today, he ate slices of cooked carrots and bread. It makes me have renewed hope that he will not be subsisting primarily on formula forever.

At work, my boss, the Dean of the Nursing Program, was so struck by meeting Linc the other day that she brought in a toy for him. She even remembered his name, and she only met him once for about two seconds. Notice Nico did not register in her memory. There's just something about our Lincoln. He's unforgettable.

Every Sunday, when we drop him off at the church nursery, the woman in charge of his class tosses whatever baby she's holding to get her hands on Linc. I mean it, she is holding a baby every time we show up, and upon catching sight of Linc, she sheds that other baby like old skin. I have seen her plop an adorable little thing on the ground with a burp rag on its head and run to the door to grab Lincoln. More than once, I have seen her put a second baby in one of her helper's hands to free herself up for the Lincoln. That's just the effect he has on people.

Sometimes, people in a store are actually slack-jawed in adoration of Linc. I am getting to the point where I am surprised if people even notice we have another child. Of course, those close to us are just as enamored with Nico as Lincoln, but strangers are struck by Linc's "exotic" look, his sheer joy, and his cute mannerisms. Most days, though, I am convinced that I am the most smitten of all, and tonight I am wishing him awake so that I can get another "fix" of the good stuff.

No comments: