Sunday, October 12, 2008

Weekend Update

It is love all over again for me. I gave the boys haircuts this weekend, and they are both so cute and fresh-faced. It is like rediscovering their sweet features every time I look at them.

It all started with a sticky bubble-blowing encounter. Nico brought me the giant bubble wand and we littered the backyard with pregnant, lumbering bubbles. Linc sat on his blanket in the grass, and Nico chased the bubbles, unwittingly popping every one he could touch. When they would burst above us, it was a sticky shower that spread for five feet across. So, we played barber shop and had bath time, and then they reemerged like reborn pink cherubs, crawling all over each other in their animal towels, the duck and the dragon warring and giggling together.

My weekends are so unbelievably rewarding now that I don't have school work hanging over my head all the time. I can finally just be their mother and not have to push them away from my textbooks with a tortured, guilty feeling in my stomach. I can hardly believe the relief I feel to have my time back. Sure, I'm gone during the weekdays, but when I come home, I can give them all of myself.

And that's what we did all weekend: we wasted our time luxuriously on frivolity, and I wouldn't change a minute of it. And anyway, Linc had a banner weekend. He perfected waving, and now does it with both hands just about every time he looks at us. It is pretty much the cutest thing in the universe, I am convinced. Lets see, he also is getting so good at his almost-crawl that he scoots over and tries to rip the curtains out of the wall. Yesterday, when I put the curtains up so that he couldn't touch them, he responded by going over to the storage bench we have in the dining room, pulling out the baskets one by one, and emptying each basket all over the floor.

After watching his father and brother light-saber fight in the back yard, he grabbed a light-saber roughly twice his height and waved it around happily. He climbed up a step onto the patio with no help, and then back down to get back on his blanket after he had gotten the toy he wanted. He scoots to the back door and tries to pull himself up on his feet to look out.

He ate bread two days in a row -- the first non-pureed food he has ever eaten! He has started chiding us if we take away a toy he wants (or, last night, when Sam tried to take away the dirty shoe he was playing with). He crawled a bit in the nursery at church, and he made it through Saturday night with a big group of people without dissolving into tears. Also, on Saturday, he crawled into Barron's tent, which inspired all the other kids to join him, and once inside he took a toy from two different kids (hey, we celebrate all development, even the bratty kind).

What can I say, it was a great weekend!

No comments: